The Bachelor in International Food Service Management will prepare you for a career as a food service expert, able to work in a range of environments, from fast to traditional food, street food to gastronomic restaurants, franchises to independent outlets, and from commercial to institutional catering.
Qualification: Bachelor (Hons.) State Certified Level II Qualification, registered with the National Repertoire of Professional Certifications (RNCP)
Length: 4 years full-time
Languages of instruction: French/English or English
Entry requirements: French baccalaureate or international equivalent
Start date: February or September
Careers: multi-site food service manager, food and beverage manager, restaurant entrepreneur, category manager
Satisfying food desires across the generations
In Europe, 1 meal out of every 5 is eaten out of the home. New lifestyles, societal changes and the increasing needs for services to the person have all made food service a strategic sector. Our 4-year course will allow you to study the whole food service value chain: suppliers, distributors, restaurant owners and consumers.
This course is for you if you’re a natural leader interested in all categories of food service. If you’re also passionate about digital technologies and constantly on the look-out for innovations to improve the quality of customer service.
Tomorrow, you’ll be equipped with the skills to successfully adapt to changes in consumer habits, guarantee the profitability of your establishment and increase the satisfaction of your clients.
The art of learning
Our learning approach is unwaveringly innovative, inspired by the “test & learn” philosophy, offering students both a strategic and operational perspective of the industry. 50% of your course will involve practical professional training in our hotels and training restaurants. You’ll develop a clear and in-depth vision of each segment of the food service industry, along with the demands of culinary production and regulatory requirements.
As the course advances, you’ll progressively gain confidence as a manager, preparing you for rapid career progression. Equipped with the team, leadership, communication, analytical and decision-making skills expected by employers, you’ll be able to work effectively with kitchen teams as well as service teams and suppliers.
*Given only as examples
Learning objectives: develop your curiosity and analytical skills
- Culinary techniques and technologies
- Organisation of culinary production, hygiene, health and safety
- Wine and spirits management
- Introduction to marketing, accounting management and human resources
- Interpersonal communication skills, modern foreign languages
- Practical and managerial role-plays: brasserie, bistronomic and gastronomic service
4-month work placement
Learning objectives: learn how to reason effectively
- International food & beverage
- Architecture and interior design
- Restaurant service and food culture from the world
- Social & digital marketing
- Leadership management
- Nutrition and dietetics
- Creative project
4 to 6-month work placement and/or international exchange programme at one of our partner schools
Learning objectives: learn how to make decisions and develop your confidence
- Supply chain management
- Financial and revenue management
- Diversity management
- Innovation concept and design thinking
- Managing sustainable development
- Fast food and institutional catering management
6-month work placement
Our specialisations will enable you to develop a more flexible approach to management and equip you with a specific domain of expertise.
- 4th year specialisation International Wine & Beverage Management
- 4th year specialisation The Hospitality Entrepreneur
- 4th year specialisation Strategic Meetings & Events Management
- 4th year specialisation Global Wellness Management (opening January 2020)
- 4th year specialisation Multi-Unit & Restaurant Concept Management (opening 2020)
- 4th year specialisation Management de la Restauration Institutionnelle (opening 2020)
Why choose us?
Come and shake things up
- Choose to be unique – true to the vision of our founders, we are the only school in France to offer an undergraduate programme dedicated to food service.
- Discover a myriad of new career opportunities.
- At Institut Paul Bocuse, you’ll be able to display your talent whilst working with the very best, including a multiskilled team of 150 industry professionals and leading professors.
- You’ll be able to try out your skills in a unique training environment offering a 5-star hotel school, a campus-based hotel and 6 training restaurants.
- Benefit from our partnership with the Université du Vin (Wine University) located in Suze La Rousse. You’ll follow a comprehensive 60-hour training programme covering all aspects of the wine industry.
- Further your expertise by choosing one of the specialisations available in Year 4.
- Build yourself an inspirational and international future: 80% of our graduates’ first jobs are as managers. Nearly 70% begin their career overseas.
Upon completion of this course, you’ll be awarded a Bachelor in Food Service Management and the Professional Certificate in International Hospitality Management, registered with the National Repertoire of Professional Certifications (RNCP) at level II (Bachelor).
What can i do next?
The future is yours for the taking
What are the opportunities for further study?
Careers and opportunities
Perhaps your dream job is
- Restaurant manager
- Food & beverage manager
- Concept creator
- Food import & export manager
Or even …
- Client manager
- Management controller
- Events partnership manager
Admissions, conditions and fees
Two start dates each year
- September 3, 2019: choice between dual language (French/English) or English programme
- February 2020: choice between dual language (French/English) or English programme
- Academic achievements
- Selection Day: tests (4 different computer-based exams) and individual interview
Funding your studies
Scholarships & bursaries for year 1 students
Our scholarships and bursaries are awarded by the G&G Pélisson Foundation for Institut Paul Bocuse.