The Bachelor in International Pastry Management will prepare you to become a highly qualified professional equipped with the creativity, expertise and leadership skills for a successful career in the pastry, bakery, chocolate and confectionary sectors.
Degree in the Culinary Arts (3-year) registered and approved by the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation*.
*Publication in the Official Journal on 29 August 2019
Qualification: Bachelor’s Degree certified by the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation
Length: 3 years full-time (180 ECTS)
Languages of instruction: French
Entry requirements: French Baccalaureate or equivalent qualifications
Start date: September
Careers: Pastry chef, Chocolatier-confectioner, Pastry outlet owner, Consultant, Product development manager.
Bring out the true pastry artist within you
Recognised as one of France’s greatest achievements, pastry making is currently enjoying a huge success the world over. Considered as an art and a synonym of pure emotion, it requires refinement, an aesthetic and highly technical touch and is constantly evolving alongside new eating habits.
Are you both passionate and creative yet careful and precise? Do you above all like to delight others? Then the world of pastry is made for you!
Our new Bachelor’s degree in Pastry Management, a 3-year state-approved programme, will offer you an innovative vision of the pastry professions. It will equip you with the technical know-how and managerial skills to occupy a management position in France or overseas, or to develop your own path by becoming an entrepreneur.
I joined Institut Paul Bocuse as a Pastry Chef-Trainer with the ambition to pass on to the younger generations the full range of knowledge and expertise involved in our professions. This means perpetuating traditions and techniques down through the generations to allow young up-and-coming talents to develop their own style and creative identity. This is achieved above all through direct contact with students to enable them to master the skills.
Vincent Durant – Meilleur Ouvrier de France Chocolate and Confectionery making
THE ART OF LEARNING
Our learning approach is unwaveringly experiential and interactive, offering students both a strategic and operational perspective of the industry. 50% of your course will involve practical professional training in our pastry laboratories (pastry, bakery, chocolate-making) and training restaurants. Your course has been designed to include regular creative projects and incorporates the latest digital tools to support your learning, prior to the practical courses with our trainers, thanks to the Learning Management System.
As the course advances, you’ll progressively gain confidence as a manager, developing the soft skills that will equip you with the agility to progress rapidly in your career. At Institut Paul Bocuse, you’ll also acquire a team spirit as well as the leadership, communication and multidisciplinary skills expected by employers.
*Given only as examples
- Introduction to culinary and pâtisserie techniques
- Food science
- Nutrition, health and well-being
- Culinary operations management
- Managing a restaurant business
- Human resources, interpersonal communication
- Modern foreign languages
- Individual supervision of your career project
4-month work placement in France or overseas
- Management communication
- Management control and financial analysis
- French pastry classics, entremets, contemporary cakes
- Croquembouches, the art of spun sugar and pastillage sugar decorating
- Viennese pastry and bread making
- Pastry-making and chemistry: understanding chemical reactions
- Management of sustainable development
- Marketing and communications
- Creative project inspired by sous vide cooking applied to pastry making
4-month work placement, and international exchange programme opportunities at one of our partner schools
- New pastry-making trends (pastry-making “without” and responsible pastry-making)
- Advanced pastry, chocolate and confectionary making techniques
- Technologies associated with ice cream making, baking and catering
- Pastry art, drawing and design
- Food safety and regulations
- Produce chains, supply management, performance analysis
- Final year entrepreneurial project: setting up a pastry outlet
6-month work placement
OPPORTUNITIES FOR FURTHER STUDY (SPECIALISATION)
Why choose us?
Learn to reveal your creative and managerial potential
- Train alongside the very best: 35 professional chefs including 6 pastry chefs and a Meilleur Ouvrier de France in Chocolate and Confectionary making.
- Benefit from a comprehensive, state-of-the-art course covering the technical, technological and artistic components of pastry making.
- Experiment your skills in a unique technical environment with 15 pastry-making, kitchen and bread-making laboratories, and 6 training restaurants including one that is Michelin-starred.
- We’ll offer you fantastic opportunities to explore the world thanks to the diversity of nationalities on campus and the strong international dimension of our courses. You’ll also be able to open your horizons on one of our overseas academic exchange programmes.
- You’ll benefit from ongoing preparation for employability with individualised career guidance from a team of specialist coaches.
What can I do next?
TAKE YOUR DREAMS TO THE NEXT LEVEL
What are the opportunities for further study?
Careers and opportunities
You will be able to choose from a wide variety of careers:
Perhaps you dream of becoming
- Restaurant pastry chef
- Pastry outlet owner
- Pastry chef at home
- Pastry consultant
- Chocolate-confectionary chef
Or even …
- Boutique pastry chef
- Catering pastry chef
- Product development manager